- Black Mothers’ Breastfeeding Association (BMBFA): Facebook page; nonprofit organization increasing awareness of the benefits of breastfeeding throughout the African American community.
- The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor: offers comprehensive breastfeeding support with a board-certified lactation consultant, classes, large selection of bras and pumps, a variety of drop-in groups for nursing moms and babies, and a Human Milk Bank Depot; serving Washtenaw and surrounding counties.
- La Leche League: Free peer counseling and support groups for breastfeeding mothers. Find a group near you.
Childbirth Education/Become an Educator
- American Association of Birth Centers
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- The Birth Survey. On this site, you can find information on intervention rates that will help expectant parents make more informed decisions about their maternity care. We are encourage parents to take The Birth Survey so that we can help this organization collect more information in intervention rates through Michigan.
- BirthNetwork: a non-profit, consumer-advocacy group promoting awareness of the benefits and availability of healthy, normal pregnancy and childbirth through information and support.
- Center for the Childbearing Year: Comprehensive, multi-media Online Childbirth Preparation classes as well as onsite classes in our cozy Ann Arbor center. See our free early pregnancy online class, Choices in Childbirth.
- Childbirth Connection: up-to-date evidence-based information and resources on planning for pregnancy, labor and birth, and the postpartum period.
- Coalition to Improve Maternity Services (CIMS): coalition of individuals and national organizations promoting a wellness model of maternity care that will improve birth outcomes and substantially reduce costs; this evidence-based mother-, baby-, and family-friendly model focuses on prevention and wellness as the alternatives to high-cost screening, diagnosis, and treatment programs.
- International Cesarean Awareness Network
- SpinningBabies: website of Gail Tully, author of The Belly Mapping Workbook. Fun site all about baby’s positioning in the womb and how to correct malpositioning.
- Text4Baby: free health text messaging service from the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB); supports moms by providing accurate, text-length health information and resources in a format that is personal and timely.
- VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
- Waterbirth International: benefits and how to; birth pools.
- Child Care Network: helping families work by offering child care referrals, family support, child care scholarships, and professional development for child care professionals; southeastern Michigan.
- Center for the Childbearing Year: Online directory of professional birth and postpartum doulas; DONA International birth and postpartum doula trainings and professional certification
- DONA International: an international, nonprofit organization of doulas that provides professional training and certification for doulas.
- Metro Detroit Doulas & Childbirth Educators: offers listings for doulas, childbirth educators, and more; Facebook group offers an online support community for doulas and childbirth educators.
Find a Midwife
- 211 Call Search Center. National collaborative sponsored by the United Way; provides free and confidential information and referral; call 211 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling, and more.
- March of Dimes: Annual Community Grants Program RFP available in March each year for funding in subsequent year; many resources and client handouts to prevent prematurity and birth defects; Spanish and other multi-lingual resources available.
- Mother’s Advocate: print materials, client handouts.
- Share with Women: provides many articles of interest to pregnant women; can be used as client handouts for doulas.