Available from Center for the Childbearing Year in Ann Arbor.
2016 BIRTH DOULA TRAINING SCHEDULE
With Patty Brennan
Friday & Saturday 8:30am-6pm and Sunday 8:30am-5pm
Fee $520; $470 early registration
- February 19–21
- April 15–17
- June 10–12
- August 5–7
- November 11–13
2016 POSTPARTUM DOULA TRAINING SCHEDULE
With Patty Brennan & Guest Instructors
Thursday-Saturday 8:30am-6pm and Sunday 8:30am-4pm
Fee $630; $565 early registration
- March 10–13
- October 6–9
Doula Scholarship Program
Michigan Doula Connection is sponsoring partial scholarships to make birth and postpartum doula training more affordable for low-income women. A limited number of partial scholarships are donated by Center for the Childbearing Year. This opportunity is available to qualified candidates who are willing to complete a volunteer service commitment to low-income families in their communities (see details below). If you are awarded a partial scholarship, you will be able to register for a three-day birth doula workshop at the substantially discounted fee of $250 or $275 for a four-day postpartum doula workshop.
All applicants must …
- Demonstrate financial need. Scholarships are limited to those who cannot otherwise afford the full cost of doula training.
- Have an email address that you check regularly (at least 3-4 times per week)
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a high school graduate (GED acceptable)
- Be a resident of Michigan and plan to continue to reside in Michigan long enough to fulfill your volunteer commitment as outlined below
- Have reliable transportation available
Birth doula applicants must …
Commit to providing a free package of services for one woman in need of support. The package should include a minimum of two prenatal visits, labor and birth support, and one postpartum home visit within the first week after birth. Services should be completed within a year of finishing the training. Please be aware that this commitment involves being “on-call” 24 hours a day, seven days a week for a period of two weeks before and two weeks after your client’s estimated due date. If you cannot promise to be available to women in this way, you really cannot be a birth doula until the on-call lifestyle becomes a workable option in your life.
Postpartum doula applicants must …
Commit to providing a minimum of 9 hours (3 3-hour visits) of free postpartum services to two families within one year of completing training. All services will be completed in the clients’ homes. Total commitment = 18 hours
2016 Workshop Schedule & Application Deadlines
DONA Birth Doula Workshops
The DONA Birth Doula Workshop meets on Friday & Saturday 8:30am–6pm and Sunday 8:30am–5pm at Center for the Childbearing Year in Ann Arbor. You must attend the full training to earn a DONA International Certificate of Attendance for professional certification purposes.
- February 19–21 (application deadline 1/19)
- April 15–17 (application deadline 3/15)
- June 10–12 (application deadline (6/10)
- August 5–7 (application deadline 8/5)
- November 11–13 (application deadline 10/11)
DONA Postpartum Doula Workshops
The DONA Postpartum Doula Workshop meets Thursday–Saturday 8:30am–6pm and Sunday 8:30am–4pm at Center for the Childbearing Year in Ann Arbor. You must attend the full training to earn a DONA International Certificate of Attendance for professional certification purposes.
- March 10–13 (application deadline 2/10)
- October 6–9 (application deadline 9/6)
How to Apply
Please click on one of the Scholarship Application links below save it to your desktop. Complete the application, save the file, and then send by email attachment to: info@MichiganDoulaConnection.org. To be considered for a spot in the training, you must email your application by midnight on the deadline date listed.
DOWNLOAD 2016 BIRTH DOULA SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION (coming soon)
Notification ~ How it works
- Confirmation of receipt of your application will be via email, typically within 24 hours. If you do not receive a confirmation email, you should check with email@example.com to ensure we received your application.
- Approximately two to three weeks before the training date, you will be notified of your status. Note: This is not a lot of lead time for planning purposes.
- If awarded a scholarship, recipients will be given a link to register for the workshop at the $250 or $275 fee. You will have a time-sensitive opportunity to accept the scholarship and make a payment in order to reserve your spot. Typically, spots are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis, so you will need to plan accordingly.
- You may not transfer a scholarship option to another training date, but you can apply again if you find that you are unable to accept the scholarship when it is offered.
- If you are not awarded a scholarship, Center for the Childbearing Year offers payment plans for all professional trainings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Location of Trainings
All trainings will be held at Center for the Childbearing Year, 722 Brooks St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103. (We are about 1 mile from the Amtrack station.)
Accommodations for Out-of-Towners
Here is a list of local hotels.
Children at Trainings?
Breastfeeding in-arms infants under six months of age are welcome at the trainings. You must provide childcare for your other children. There are two 15-minute breaks and a one-hour-long lunch break each day. Older breastfeeding babies may be brought to our training center during breaks to nurse and the needs of pumping mothers will be accommodated. We have a refrigerator/freezer available.
Questions about the DONA International doula certification process?
For more information, see Center for the Childbearing Year. There are separate processes for birth and postpartum doulas and additional costs involved through DONA International. We will review the requirements, in detail, during the doula training weekend so you will have an opportunity to get all of your questions answered.
Questions regarding the content of each training?
Please read the individual course descriptions at Center for the Childbearing Year.